Saturday, November 12, 2005

Nothing can be compared to this!

Outfield: a term that most soldiers feared and dread. For amature soldiers, it would definately mean the 7 days field camp. hahax... for us, the MILAN Platoon, this is one particular field camp we will NEVER forget.

A word: XIONG!

On our movement day, we carry our full battle load ( Comd: 1 mira, 1 missile, No 1 Operator: Firing post, tripod, No 2 operator: 2 missiles) and bash through the Wood Cutter's Trail. This is the process to get to out first deploymeny ground. The route is totally DISASTROUS. Uneven terrain, thick vegetation, Obstacles e.g. tree trunks, muddy water, totally dark drains, using ropes to get to a high point. Initially, i was relatively fine with the weight. My positive thoughts was telling me that it is actually quite fun to bash through forest route.

WRONG.

After travelling for like 7km or so, my body started to tire out and i can start to feel the uneven weight of the firing post. Shit. My sergeant, who was sick on that day, went ahead to participate in the march. However, given his body condition, he cannot sustain the whole journey. He fell and fall out from the march. I was shocked. My partner, keat was also in a very bad condition. As for me, i started to feel that i could not concentrate anymore. I was swaying from side to side. Lucky for me, my good pal KS gave me a helping hand (also the 2nd Sergeant) and i managed to endure my way through. Thanks all.

When we reach our first resting area, i thought helmets can be off.. A LOAD OF RUBBISH!!! 1/3 alert.

Stupid.

First deployment ground was actually the first resting area. As the No.1 gunner, i need to take over the job of my section comd since he fell out of the march. Being totally new to the idea of a commander, the job was daunting, yet challenging and fulfilling. Every little details appears to be different from the view of a commander and a No.1 gunner. hahax.

Our 2nd mission was supposed to be on Jeep. However, last minute changes by higher authorities made it a dismounted role again. Shit. Once again, we need to march about 5km. That makes a grand total of 17km march. haiz. I was the team commander, Rong became the No 1 gunner, and Keat was the No. 2 gunner. I must really praise Rong for his effort. Thanks Rong!

As for the 3rd mission, finally it was mounted role. ON JEEP!!! To my surprise, i mwas made the Vehicle Commander, since i was the team 2 commander. Hahax.. i must really say that it was a very good experience for me. As a vehicle commander, i need to lead my team, give instructions to them etc. Hmm.. something new. However, the mission was not really a success, not saying that it was our fault, cos i don't think that it is ours, it ws very funny.

On our last day, we were all very happy. Our 2i/c asked us to re camo our vehicle. We did it with no grudges and spirits ws relatively high that day. We waited for about 2+ hours before moving off to coy line. Yippy!

When we reach our bunks, washed up, we realised that our body is "pian ti lin shang". Sand fly bites, Mosquito bites, rashes, muscle aches, back injuries.. everything lo... haiZ. Out of my platoon 15 did not really completely made it. Only 1 made it. haiZ.. BUT... good job guys for enduring together!

After clearing out stores, we finally get to rest. Officer's Mess!!! Finally- human food. Hahax.

Will NEVER forget this outfield experience that is both PHYSICALLY TIRING and REWARDING @ the same time.

Book out today. Went out with QY, KS, Lunny, and Warren to town. Went Far East, then HMV, then Cine. Oh.. i played Capcom VS Street Fighter. I got to the last level!! Nothin like this ever happen to me before. hahax.. very happi!!!

hmm.. lets see how the week end goes..

Enjoy :)

p.s. Thank you Sir and my platoon mates esp KS, Rong, Keat who helped me along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home